Sunday, September 6, 2009

African Impression shawl - knitting short rows/Schal mit verkürzten Reihen

There is a German saying something like 'that what your heart is filled with is what you keep talking about' - and I guess not only my heart but also my basket is now filled with so much colourful sock wool, that I just cannot help going on with it just a little bit longer ...

(I even found a few new ones while visiting a nearby village the day before yesterday ... sigh!)

While trying out one of the new balls and searching my mind for a solution on how to get straight coloured areas without having to cut up the wool into small units, I suddenly got the idea of using short rows (this means that you're knitting only over a part of the stitches for a couple of rows, before joining up knitting over all stitches again) - eureka!

The colours on this yarn remind me of Africa ... just the right colour scheme to brighten up a dull European fall and winter!



(German summary: Ich kann diese Sockenwolle doch noch nicht ganz lassen - bei diesem Schal habe ich verkürzte Reihen gestrickt, damit der Farbwechsel größere, einheitliche Farbflächen ergibt.)

9 comments:

LOVE STITCHING RED said...

It's ok, I love to see your sock wool because I would never have the patience to knit sock wool, so I like to look at yours!

Carolyn :o)
x

Julie said...

This knitting and the puzzle in your previous post are both fascinating. What an amazing way of knitting.

Anonymous said...

this looks wonderful - i like the way you have made the sections of colour. I guess this would work with crochet, too?

Gabriela said...

Oh, what a wonderful design!

jude said...

love this technique! very fabulous!

Anneli/Bockfilz said...

Thank you, girls, for your enthusiastic comments!

@Carolyn: It's not that bad at all - this sock wool is a bit thicker and you can use needles No. 4!

@Paula: Yes, the colour areas would work with crochet as well - but I guess you should use double crochet stitches and quite a big hook, so the scarf won't be too sturdy ...

Zoya said...

It looks beautiful, like rainbows over the hills.

Elizabeth said...

It is so much fun to read your post because I can feel the joy you're having while working on your creation. You are a talented lady.

Anneli/Bockfilz said...

Thank you too, Fioleta and Elizabeth!

Yes, rainbows is a nice description - while knitting, I sometimes imagined sunsets colouring the sea below ...