Sunday, February 26, 2012

Sustainable everyday favourites

As I'm always looking for sustainable everyday items myself, I thought I'd share some of the things I've found and use in everyday life with you. And I would love to learn about your favourites!

Almost every evening, I light my recycling candle - it has a permanent glass fiber wick and is fed with scraps of wax and candle leftovers. (Here is the link to the manufacturer.)



The soap foam pump is another one of my favourites: with only a very small amount of any liquid soap - and a lot of water from your cold water-tap - it produces soft soap foam, nice to your skin, nice to the environment and nice to your wallet.



Two months ago I stumbled upon this link and this other link and decided to try out sewing and wearing my own fabric panty liners. I admit I was a bit sceptical at first, but now - after several weeks of use - I sure am a believer: wonderful to wear, easy to sew, and a very good, sustainable alternative to the disposables ones.

(If you don't want to sew yourself, there are several sellers at Etsy who'll do the job for you - here's the link.)



While recycling your old flannel sheets and shirts for the panty liners, you can use the fabric scraps for making your own cotton rounds as well - when used, I simply throw them in a small laundry bag hanging in a corner of the bathroom, and wash them together with the towel and bed linen laundry.



(Of course there are sellers for these things too at Etsy, if you don't feel like sewing and recycling yourself.)

(German summary: Da ich immer selber auf der Suche nach nachhaltigen und umweltfreundlichen Alltagsdingen bin, wollte ich hier meine Favoriten vorstellen - welche sind Deine?)

4 comments:

Elizabeth said...

Have to say I'm totally taken by the recycling candle and the gorgeous swedish flanel. Maybe I should go flanel hunting in Sweden during the summer!!!!

Anneli/Bockfilz said...

Sorry to disappoint you, dear Elizabeth, but this is Austrian flannel, not a Swedish one ;-)! I got it from my neighbour here, as I didn't have any of my own!

And flannel can be hard to find at the fabric shops - so keep your eyes open for sales at furniture shops, the bed linen department! This will give you a lot of fabric for a modest price.

Another alternative is looking for baby blankets and big men's flannel shirts at the thriftshops!

WolleNaturFarben said...

Hello Anneli,
i like your post very much ! Thanks for the information with the candle light, so nice, to wish for the next birthday. With my soap i use soap in pieces with lies on a piece of olivewood. And the other nice things of stuff you recommend i used and needed in former times ;-))I always care also for recycling and i discovered a blog to avoid plastic i like very much:
http://leben-ohne-plastik.blogspot.com/
have a nice week, many greatings and really nice to read again from you. Anke

Anneli/Bockfilz said...

Danke, liebe Anke, ich habe mich sehr über Deinen Kommentar gefreut und werde mit Vergnügen Deinem Link nachgehen!